||Live Racing Returns to Sam Houston Race Park on January 21 with the Highest Purse Structure in Its History
- January 5, 2011) - Sam Houston Race Park will return with live Thoroughbred Horse racing beginning on Friday, January 21, 2011. The 27-day Thoroughbred meet will run through Monday, March 7th and will be highlighted by average daily purse amounts in excess of $160,000, the highest The Park has seen in its 17 year history.
The 2011 Thoroughbred Meet will feature 14 stakes races totaling $1.1 million in purses over the course of the 27-day meet, ending on Monday, March 7th. The stakes program will once again be highlighted by the Grade III $200,000 John B. Connally Turf Cup, The Park’s signature event, on January 29, 2011.
The 2011 Thoroughbred stakes schedule will begin with Texas Champions Day on opening weekend, Saturday, January 22nd. The Texas Champions Day racing event, which is consistently The Park’s largest live racing day during the Thoroughbred Meet, will feature over $400,000 in total purses. Traditionally held in December, the Texas-themed live racing event will include seven high-dollar stakes races; the $100,000 Star of Texas Stakes for 4-year-
olds and up, $50,000 Richard King Stakes, $50,000 Spirit of Texas Stakes, $50,000 San Jacinto Stakes for fillies and mares, $50,000 Yellow Rose Stakes, $50,000 Bara Lass Stakes for fillies 3-years-old and the $50,000 Groovy Stakes for 3-year-olds.
The 2011 American Quarter Horse Meet will begin on Friday, March 11th and will be highlighted by the Grade II $100,000+ Bank of America Challenge Championships (March 26) and the Grade II $100,000+ Sam Houston Futurity (April 9).
In addition to the new purse structure, The Park will implement a 50 Cent minimum wager format on select wagers. Fans will be able to place a minimum bet of $.50 on all Pick Three and Pick Four wagers as well as all Trifecta wagers during the 2011 live racing meet.
Also highlighted in the 2011 Meet will be the return of Monday racing with FREE admission. First post will be 1:20 p.m.
The 2011 live racing season will also feature a variety of special events and promotional days including:
- Party on the Patio featuring 50 Cent Draft Beer and $1.50 Wine Specials every Friday;
- Dollar Day at The Park featuring $1 admission, live racing programs, hot dogs, ice cream, soda and draft beer (January 23 & May 15);
- Monday Live Racing with ESPN’s Fred Faour and A.J. Hoffman featuring FREE Admission. (First post 1:20 p.m.);
- Wine Tasting Event in the Winner’s Circle Restaurant featuring $40 premier buffet and sampling of four varieties of Constellation Brand wines (February 19 & May 14);
- Wiener Dog Races highlighting the fastest wiener dogs in the state (March 12);
- Dog Day at The Park where fans can dress their four-legged friend in a costume and bring to the races (April 23);
- Easter Sunday Brunch featuring live racing and a special $40 premier buffet in the Winner’s Circle Restaurant (April 24, First post 1:00 p.m.);
- Kentucky Derby Day highlighting simulcast action direct from Churchill Downs, mint julep specials, hat contest and more! (May 7);
- Mother’s Day Brunch Special featuring live racing and a $40 premier buffet in the Winner’s Circle Restaurant (May 8, First post 1:00 p.m.).
Live Thoroughbred racing will begin on Friday, January 21st and conclude on Monday, March 7th, featuring a major stakes event every Saturday. Live racing events will be held every Friday (7 p.m.), Saturday (7 p.m.), Sunday (5 p.m.) and Monday (1:20 p.m.). Live American Quarter Horse racing will start on Friday, March 11th and run through Sunday, May 15th with races every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For the full calendar of Sam Houston Race Park’s 2011 live race dates, visit www.shrp.com.